A few weeks ago, I got a call from my doctor about my most recent routine bloodwork and how my hemoglobin level dropped pretty significantly. (Thanks baby #2!) I was advised to take extra iron supplements, which is obviously a pretty standard thing to do. Iron pills make me so bloody sick that I can’t even function properly, so I stopped taking them… Instead, I just started incorporating more iron rich foods in to my diet and I seem to be much better now! One of those iron rich foods I added in to my diet was SPINACH. I usually do eat spinach, but I swear by now we’re eating it 3-6 times a week depending on how much I have on hand!!
ANYWAYS. I made my Apple+pear+brie stuffed pork tenderloin for dinner again tonight, and I had to revise the recipe. Instead of using 1 full apple AND one full pear to stuff such a tiny tenderloin, I used only half. I also had brie left over from this that I know I am not going to use any time soon. SO, I decided to make a salad consisting of the left over apples, pears and brie. It was an interesting approach and I did not think this would work. Low and behold, it was DELICIOUS. You must give this salad a try!!!
Ingredients: (serves 4)
For the salad:
- 3-4 handfuls of fresh spinach
- 1/2 of a pear, diced
- 1/2 of an apple, diced
- 1/2c walnuts (pecans will work also. Or mix together.)
For the dressing:
- 4 TBSP spreadable brie cheese
- 1/4c white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4c + 1 TBSP Evoo
- 2 TBSP honey
- A pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 TBSP poppy seeds
- Toss all your dressing ingredients in a measuring cup or little bowl and whisk until everything is nicely incorporated.
- In a separate salad bowl, toss in your spinach, apples, pears, and walnuts.
- Dress your salad and eat up!