It was 29 degrees today. WOW. What an ABSOLUTELY beautiful day!!! But on super hot days like today, I don’t really feel like heating up my house any more than it already is – so I decided to BBQ outside! Tonights dinner is a super simple, yet delicious (moist) beer can chicken!!!! If you have never tried something like this, I suggest you do. Serve it up with some BBQ’D sweet potatoes, and BBQ’D whole carrots, and a home made Caesar salad.
- 1 3-4LB whole chicken
- 1/3c EVOO
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 2 TBSP garlic powder
- 2 TBSP smoked paprika
- 1 TBSP cumin
- 1 TBSP coriander
- 1 TBSP onion powder
- 1 TBSP salt
- 1 TBSP pepper
- 1/2 TBSP cinnamon
- 1 TSP cayenne pepper
- 1/2 can of your favourite beer
- Wash your bird thoroughly inside and out. Pat dry.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together your brown sugar, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, onion powder, salt, pepper, cinnamon and cayenne pepper and your evoo.
- Place your chicken in a LARGE bowl. Rub your seasoning paste all over the bird.
- Heat your outdoor grill to LOW on one side, and MEDIUM on the other side.
- Make sure to use some kind of drip tray safe for a BBQ to place your chicken on. Put the beer can in the chickens cavity, place standing up on the drip tray and put it on the LOW heat side of the BBQ. Close the lid. If the brown sugar on your chicken is getting black within the first 10-20 minutes of being on the grill, turn the heat down a little lower.
- Set a kitchen timer for 1 hour. This can take up to 90 minutes depending on the efficiency of your grill. My 4lb chicken only took about 1 hour.
- Once the thickest part of the chicken reads 165F, it is ready to come off the grill.
- Place chicken on a cutting board, let rest for 15 minutes.
- Once the chicken is well rested, carve and serve!