Spring is in the air!! It got up to maybe 13 or 14 degrees today in Edmonton, and let me tell you it was AMAZING. 13 degrees is pretty warm for me after our winters… sadly. Needless to say, I was feeling extra inspired for my meal plan I made this morning! I want to do spring dinners with all the beauty produce that is out and in season! If only I could cook this way the whole year round and not go broke, I would be the happiest girl in the whole entire world!
First meal of this weeks plan is a green curry with chicken and spring veggies, with a home made green curry paste. It is so much better to make your own so you don’t have a store bought container in your fridge with one or two spoonfuls out of it until you end up throwing it out 6 months later. What a waste. Grab your mortar and pestle (or a small blender or food processor) and lets get to it!
- 1/2 TSP ground cumin
- 1/2 TSP ground coriander
- 1″ piece of lemon grass, OR 1 TSP ground lemon grass
- 2.5 TBSP fresh grated, and peeled ginger root
- 2 small kaffir lime leaves (it is okay to use dried leaves.)
- 1.5 TBSP shallot, minced (About half of a shallot.)
- 1 TSP fresh grated turmeric
- 1.5 TBSP grated garlic cloves (about 3 large cloves)
- 5 large basil leaves, minced
- 2 red Thai chili’s, minced (Use more if you want spicier.)
- 1/8 TSP freshly ground sea salt
Add all your ingredients to your mortar and pestle or food processor and turn it into a paste. This makes about 3.5 TBSP of green curry paste.
I scaled down the spice of this as my 13 month old eats what we eat for dinner, and he sure does not approve of anything too spicy. That being said, up that chili pepper amount and use green Chile’s with red Chile’s. This is a little less than medium spice.